Go To Search
History of the Department
History of the Madeira Police Department
Madeira was incorporated as a village under the statutes of the State of Ohio in 1910. The village was protected by a series of elected marshals and appointed deputy marshals until 1942 when Tom Fesmire was appointed as Madeira’s first chief of police. Chief Fesmire was succeeded by Chief Fred Doer in 1947.

Chief Doer began to expand both the technology and personnel of the Madeira Police Department in the early 1950’s. By 1954, the department had a compliment of four full-time officers, two vehicles, and was dispatched via the brand new Hamilton County Communications Center. Chief Doer continued to develop the police department by equipping and training personnel in photography, fingerprinting, and basic first aid. Chief Doer saw Madeira through its transition from a village to city status in August of 1959, and retired in 1962. Chief Doer was succeeded by Chief Tom Gerth, who previously served the Amberly Village Police Department. Chief Gerth was replaced by Chief Don Wallace in 1967.

Chief Wallace saw the department nearly double in size with the 1970 annexation of the South Kenwood area of Columbia Township, eventually bringing the authorized strength of the department to ten full time officers. Chief Wallace died in office of Hodgkin’s disease in 1971 and was succeeded by Chief Phillip Hudson.

Establishing Policy
Chief Hudson established a sound base of written policies and procedures throughout his administration. Under Chief Hudson (1982), the police department ran its first and only Basic Police Academy. The class consisted of 11 officers from three different departments. Hudson authorized the changing of the department patch. It changed from the blue and gold circle patch (still being used for other employees) to the oblong blue patch. The police department grew to eleven officers under Chief Hudson, who ultimately retired in 1986.

Gerald Beckman was appointed chief of police in 1987. The police department saw many changed during his tenure; most notably the full utilization of computers in both the station and the patrol cars, and the addition of a twelfth police officer in 1990.
In 1989, the department did away with the rank of sergeant and replaced it with the rank of lieutenant. This was done to allow for supervisors to attend schools for mid level supervisors.

The police department set up temporary residence in 1990 in a building owned by the city known as the “Train Depot” located on Railroad Avenue at Miami. The officers worked from that building until 1992 when the department moved into the new building located at Miami and Euclid.

Change of Looks
In 1991, the police cars were changed from dark blue to white with a blue stripe with a decal of the patch on the door. Additional changes took place in the year 2000 when the police uniform changed from the traditional light blue to gray.

In January of 2001, Gerald Beckman retired and Frank Maupin was appointed Chief in June of 2001. He joined the Madeira Police Department in July 1978. The police department has gone through a substantial turnover since 2001 with retirements and officers changing to other departments. Under Chief Maupin, the department has added a bicycle patrol consisting of four officers. The graphics on the police cruisers has been changed as well as the patches on the uniforms. The new patch reflects the image of the train station and fountain plaza.

In 2006 Chief Maupin oversaw the formation of Madeira's first police canine program. Amigo, a German Shepherd, was purchased with the assistance of the community and various non-profits. Chief Maupin continues to strive for the highest quality of services to the community.

Police Department Today
Today the Madeira Police Department is a modern, well respected law enforcement agency with the Hamilton County police community. The department continues to learn and grow to better serve the ever changing and complex needs of a high quality community into the 21st century.